Superhero Stories I’d Like to See
Editor's note: We're delighted to welcome Dr. Hussein Rashid for a guest piece, cross-posted from an original piece in Medium.
[Author’s Note: Marvel Comics, especially the X-Men, were/are deeply inspiring to me on negotiating difference and standing for what you believe in. The following story ideas I give to them as thanks. All I want is an acknowledgement and few free issues in which they appear.]
So it seems like we’ve slipped into the Age of Apocalypse, and everyone is looking for a hero to save us. Over several days of protests, we are calling out to Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan, and Gen. Leia Organa.
Of course, this use of heroes to fight real villians has precedent. Perhaps none is more famous than Captain America punching a 1940s Nazi, Adolf Hitler.
Which, of course, was redone with a more contemporary American hero, and more contemporary racist.
In this vein of imagining today’s heroes fighting the good fight, here are some images/stories I’d love to see.
- Nightcrawler holding his signature sabre to the neck of a white supremacist, and saying “Keep my language out of your mouth, you damn, dirty racist!”
- Magneto crushing a group of white nationalists, while admonishing “A well-dressed Nazi is still a Nazi. Never again.”
- Black Bolt has a couple of options. A leader of the well-dressed white nationalist movement, the type GQ likes, says “We are the Alt-Right. Heil Trump!” At which point, Black Bolt could laugh at this guy (that’s going to be some clean-up); he could lean in real close and whisper in GQ-Nazi’s ear “alt-right?”; finally, he could just yell “racist/Nazi!”
- Kitty Pryde phasing her hand into a white supremacists chest and holding his heart, and asking “are you sure you want to say you’re alt-right?” Or, copying Muhammad Ali, and asking him “what’s my name?”
- (Young) Iceman freezing a white nationalist while sing-songing “I’m queer, I’m here.”
- Angel challening the bloated figure head of the white nationalist movement, saying “I’m a real billionaire, and I have tax returns to prove it.”
- Toad, licking the dark force behind the bloated figure, saying “you’re definitely not Grima Wormtongue, and you are a pale imitation of me.”
- Emma Frost turning to the daughter of the bloated figure, and saying “You have no idea what wealth and power are. You are a child playing with the forces of hate, thinking you won’t get burned. The flames always get the ones who started them.”
- Rachel Grey, Jean Grey, or Hope Summers, while manifesting a Phoenix flare, saying “The Phoenix destroys worlds, but will never turn to hate. The Phoenix is about life, and hate is about death. No one yields that power and survives.”
- Magik, holding the GQ-white nationalist head over a portal into Limbo. He pleads, “Don’t send me to Hell.” Magik responds, “I have standards. I’d rather battle the demon I took this realm from than have you there. I would use my soulsword on you, but there’s nothing to take. So I’ll just take your head.”
- Storm rising above the crowd of white supremacists, saying “My people were kings and queens while you were running around in mud huts. We had the largest libraries in the world before you could read. In jealousy, you took that from us, and said we were less than you. We didn’t believe your stories then and we don’t believe them now. You are the emperor with no clothes, but you had guns. Now we have the people and guns do not scare us. We declare you naked, insecure little men who are too ignorant to know the shame you are.”
I’m sure I’ll add to this as I think of more. Suggestions welcome.